newsletter

Friday, March 1, 2013

Why Do I Bother to Create


Bottle, 12"x12" oil on canvas
























Dear Friends,


A friend who is very analytical and not creative at all, once asked me what was the use of creating so much artwork, as I have been creating. I had to respond with my reasons for creating art.

I create because it feeds my soul...I am following my soul's desire and it's not something I can stop doing without feeling I'm starving my soul, and possibly depression of not being able to express myself (I have experienced a dark night of the soul after I took a period of two years of not creating)..., quite simply, it is my destiny.

An artist never paints for just money, that would be in insult to the creator that gave us this gift, and the artist that only creates for money even if their skills are perfect, the artwork lacks feeling and energy. I am not saying you should not commercialize your artwork, yes, we must sell our artwork as we artist also have bills to pay, food to buy and a mortgage to pay...but I am saying if it's just something you do for money, as any other career that you can do just for money, then you are missing out on living your call.  When you do what you love, it doesn't feel like work at all.

To an artist, painting or creating is as essential as food if not more. We are willing to sacrifice everything for our art, including financial gains, relationships (as our art takes most of our time), anything that will get in the way of us creating.  We are a strange breed, but I know of no other activity that makes me feel so grateful and thankful to be alive than when I am painting.  I enter the BLISS zone when I paint and am just so lucky to be able to do so on a regular basis.

With Love,
Gladys




Sign up for my newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment